Saturday, August 20, 2011

Arrived in Hong Kong!

Hello everyone! So, I just arrived yesterday in Hong Kong to study for a semester at Lingnan Univerity. Lingnan is located in western Hong Kong, in a region called the New Territories. As you can see from the map, Hong Kong is not just a city but a Special Administrative Region of China. Lingnan is located in Tuen Men city.

After a 15-hour flight from Toronto, I arrived at the airport and realized that my two pieces of luggage, while under the weight limit, were extremely huge and difficult to move. I met some other exchange students there, then some Lingnan students came to pick us up, then whisked us away on a bus.

There were two things that were very notable on the way there: how beautiful the mountains are, and how many enormously high apartment high rises there are. I tried to look up at one when I was next to it and became a little dizzy...

I've never stayed in a dorm before, so I suppose I found my room a little small. But the Lingnan campus is a LOT bigger than W&J, and very beautiful, too (will post pics!). Lots of trees and shaded walkways, which is fantastic, because the humidity here takes your breath away.

I woke up at 6am today and went for a morning walk to explore the campus. I've met some more exchange students, from Mainland China and elsewhere, along the way. My Chinese professor will be happy to know that I've already been practicing my Mandarin Chinese with some students here, and I'm excited to learn Cantonese!


A view from the dorm...notice the construction into the beautiful hillside. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment