Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hong Kong money - and Shopping!

This is my first full day on campus, after sleeping off the jet lag and sore muscles from carrying my luggage yesterday. I met some other exchange students from the US, South Korea and Russia, and we went shopping at the Fu Tai Shopping Center, just a 10-minute walk from campus.

It was so awkward trying to shop because I had to constantly convert HK dollars into US - luckily I brought the pocket calculator that my mom bought me (thanks mom!)

Here are my 'treasures' from today's shopping:

There are plenty of American brands, and Japanese stores carrying household items, cosmetics, and candies are everywhere! Here are the receipts:


"Wow, all of that cost $85?" Well, remember that it's HK dollars. $1 US = $7.8 HK, so it all was really a little over $10 US. Lunch on campus is usually under $5 US - I'll show you later.

The shopping center was very modern, and the line at the supermarket reminded me of home, but not a fond memory (Walmart lines, *shudder*). There's also a bustling market next to the shopping center with Chinese medicines, live fish, and lots of nifty things, but that's for another day. Right now I'd just like to get settled in.

Orientation is on Monday, so I'll have more to talk about then. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment